Directorate of Continuing Education and Professional Development
The Directorate of Continuing Education and Professional Development (DCEPD) was established in 2007 to address shortage of current skills and knowledge of MUHAS staff and Tanzania workforce at large. MUHAS, for while, has been the leading producer of health workforce of different cadres serving the country. With the increasing national population at a rate of 2.9% per annum and therefore increase in demand of health workforce in the country, MUHAS has been responding by continuously increasing enrollment in each cadre.
To produce competent graduates to combat evolving health challenges facing the population, students need to be taught through modern learning and teaching techniques by competent instructors with the updated skills and knowledge. MUHAS through the directorate is dedicated to achieve this objective by coordinating and providing training to orient both academic and supporting staffs on best teaching and researching practices as well as coordinating periodic curriculum reviews and producing competence based curriculum.
As the country’s demand for continuing education in health sector is high due to continuous changes in health applied technology, invention of new good practices in delivery of health services, new prevention and treatment methodologies for newly emerging diseases as well as changes in health policies, MUHAS is committed to take a huge part in reducing this demand by being the recognizable center in the country for coordinating the education. By working with different partners including the government, NGO’s, donors and other medical institutions, MUHAS through the directorate, has been successfully in training professionals in health sector working in different locations to serve the country.
The directorate is governed by the following objectives towards coordinating CEPD courses for all health workers in the country:
- To coordinate, regulate and spearhead CEPD at MUHAS
- To conduct comprehensive CEPD needs assessment in the health and related sectors.
- To develop, strengthen and implement internal and external marketable CEPD programmes.
- To develop and use effective national and international networks and partnerships to promote CEPD.
- To embed CEPD activities and procedures within MUHAS set up.
- To develop an infrastructure, facilities and resources for the CEPD.
In pursuing effective coordination of CEPD programmes to improve skills and knowledge of MUHAS staffs and health workers in the country at large, the directorate executes the following functions:
- Facilitate and co-ordinate and regulate MUHAS CEPD activities.
- Conduct demand-driven CEPD courses.
- Oversee quality assurance and control of MUHAS academic programmes.
- Oversee professional development of MUHAS staff for enhanced CEPD delivery.
- Conduct regular market research and needs assessment of CEPD and effect appropriate interventions.
- Develop, promote, strengthen and maintain effective and sustainable infrastructure and institutional capacity for CEPD in the University.
- Promote and market CEPD capacities of the University.
- Develop distance education and ICT based continuing education programmes at MUHAS.
- Establish CEPD relevant partnerships with other education institutions, businesses, NGOs, local and international organisations.
- Promote the financial sustainability of CEPD activities in the University.
- Develop and maintain an accreditation and certification scheme for CEPD activities