Research and PublicationHistorical overview
Before 2003, matters relating to research were handled by the Directorate of Postgraduate Studies and Research. In the year 2003, the Directorate of Postgraduate Studies and Research was split into two independent directorates, namely the Directorate of Postgraduate Studies (DPGS) and the Directorate of Research and Publications (DRP). This move was undertaken in order to strengthen postgraduate training as well as research.
The Directorate of Research and Publications at MUHAS is guided by the following vision and mission:
To be a leading center for coordinating quality health and related research that responds to national, regional and global challenges.
To provide a conducive environment for research in health and related fields, promote the conduct of research that is in line with Tanzania’s National Research Agenda and enhance the University’s capacity to advance frontiers of knowledge.
The basic function of the DRP at MUHAS is to coordinate all maters related to research and publications. The functions include to:
• Update regularly the University research Policy
• Produce regularly University Research Bulletin
• Provide information on possible sources of research funding
• Solicit research funds
• Develop University research agenda
• Establish and maintain research links
• Administer research projects
• Develop research infrastructure
• Set guidelines on research ethics
• Enhance capacity to conduct and disseminate research findings